Consulting With Our SEN Pupils, Parents and Carers
Consulting with our SEN Pupils, Parents & Carers
Consultation with Children and Young People with SEND
Teachers, SENCO and support staff will work with children and young people to identify the support needed to meet agreed outcomes. The provision is planned and interventions are allocated to individual needs. This may mean that interventions are delivered to children in mixed age groups so that best use is made of limited resources.
Children take an active role with setting their measurable outcomes and discussing them with the class teacher/SENCO. The children have regular meetings with staff to discuss their progress and support.
Consultation with Parents and Carers of Children and Young People with SEND
We are committed to working with parents and carers to identify their child’s needs and required support. Parents and carers will be involved throughout the process.
There is a range of ways that this can be done, for example:
- Termly parents/ carers evenings;
- Ongoing discussions with a class teacher and/or SENCO;
- An ‘open-door’ policy, where parents and carers are welcome to come into school to discuss any concerns they may have;
- Through termly reviews of their child’s SEN Support Plan/ EHC Plan.
- Annual EHCP review meetings
- Asking for parent views at meetings and in questionnaires
Additional time is given to parents/carers of children with SEND at our termly parent consultations and our appointment system is organised in such a way to facilitate this. Staff are released from class to meet parents/carers, as priority is given to the importance of consulting with and working with parents/carers.